<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 23, 2010

Mockingjay Predictions 

Guess what's happening tomorrow??

Anyone?

Mockingjay comes out!! Hooray!

In case you're one of the few sad folks who doesn't know about the wonderful Hunger Games series (a group which does NOT include either of the last two 10th grade classes I've taught), Mockingjay is the finale to the most exciting, action-packed, romantic YA trilogy to grace the shelves of Barnes and Noble pretty much EVER. (And yes, if you're wondering, I'm rating it over both Twilight {which should have remained a trilogy} and the Mortal Instruments series.)

So, in the same tradition that brought you the Harry Potter predictions of '07, I offer my theories on what Mockingjay will contain.

#1 Peeta will die.
Yup, I'm not alone in this view, according to some of the fansites. It's a pretty fair bet that when someone is too good for this world, he or she won't last long in it. Peeta is just too saintly to survive the cut-throat Panem of the Hunger Games. And his death would maybe give Katniss the kick in the pants that she needs to fully commit to the revolution.

#2 Katniss will end up with no one.
Sorry Team Peeta and Team Gale. As wonderful as both those guys are, Katniss has stated repeatedly that she doesn't want a husband or children. And I can't imagine the aftermath of the revolution to be such a happy fuzzy place that she changes her mind about that. Whether Gale will also die, or whether Katniss will simply choose not to be with him, I don't know. I suspect she'll spend at least the first half of the book agonizing over her guilt about being with Gale while Peeta is missing; but in the end, I think she'll decide to be alone.

#3 Prim will have a crucial role in the resistance.
Primrose has been pushed to the sidelines one too many times, relegated to the role of scared little sister watching as Katniss kicks butt in the Games again and again. I think it's time she found her groove--whether that means she uses her healing skills in a more central role or discovers some other awesome skill. Katniss is going to have to recognize that her sis is no longer a helpless child.

#4 Katniss will reconcile with her mom.
Although they became more friendly during Catching Fire, Katniss and her mother still have some baggage to work through. I'm looking forward to a nice mother-daughter heart-to-heart in Book 3.

#5 It's time for the Capitol to wake up.
As we've seen through the conversations with Katniss's prep team, the Capitol people aren't exactly evil--not the way President Snow and the Gamemakers are. They're just overfed, indolent, and ignorant of how the rest of the world lives. (Hold on, who does that remind me of? Oh well, guess it's not important.) Also, addicted to voyeuristic violence. Okay, so they're a little bit evil. But I think if the resistance can somehow shock them into acknowledging the conditions outside the Capitol and the suffering of the rest of the people in Panem, they might find a few allies among the Capitol residents--like Cinna, for example (assuming he's still alive--which I think he is, by the way).

Okay, so those are my predictions--nothing shocking, I know, but I haven't been quite as active in this fandom as I was in Harry Potter's; plus, two books doesn't give you quite as much of a running start as six. :)

Anyone else want to chime in with some HG predictions? You have about nineteen hours left!

Labels:

4 comments

I like your predictions, and I'm hoping we'll see more from some of the other minor characters as well--Cinna? Effie? Madge the mayor's daughter? I feel like there are a lot of people in these books who have more to give. I'm definitely interested in this, but probably am not going to go out and buy it right away...I'll have to wait till I can get a library copy or get it used.

By Blogger Jen Rouse, at 3:05 pm  

I thought Cinna was dead already...but now that I look at it again I think you could be right.

Ryan thinks that your outlook is a little too pessimistic.

I think that Gale and Katniss would be the perfect team to bring down the capitol. Peeta's death would bring everyone together against the president.

The biggest problem is that I don't think my book is going to be arriving for a couple more days :( Although, that does give me time to read through the first two again.

By Anonymous Geron, at 5:20 pm  

One more:

What about Katniss' dad? Katniss has already met others who had "died" from mining accidents, but were actually on their way to district 13. No one had ever found her dad's body, and he has been built up to be a perfect leader and addition to their cause.

By Anonymous Geron, at 5:26 pm  

ooh Geron I've been thinking the same thing about Katniss' dad and all the other from the mining accident. I think they're still alive!

-Brenna

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?